Sunday, October 28, 2012

Baked Beans (Tyler's favorite :)

Okay Kim has literally asked me for this recipe three times now :)

This is my baked bean recipe, or we call it sweet chilli (Actually Marty gave this recipe to me). My kids love it and we usually serve it with corn bread.

Baked beans (Sweet Chilli):

Ingredients:

~1 large can of Bush's Bake Beans (original recipe)
~Add any other can of beans you like ( up to five cans)
          I usually use: 1 can of red kidney beans, 2 cans of black beans,
                               2 cans of Great Norther beans (If you cant find these
                               use another type of white beans), and 1 other can of
                               beans of my choice something I have in my cupboard.
~1lb. of lean ground beef (cooked)
~1/2 package of bacon (cooked and crumbled)
~3/4 cup Brown sugar
~1/2 cup Katsup
~1 tsp of salt
~2 tsp of vinegar
~1Tb of mustard (I usually don't add this, but that's my preference)

Directions:

First, Brown the ground beef and cook the bacon.
Second, drain and rinse all beans (yes, rinse them all very well) except the Bush's Baked beans.
Third, throw in all the beans and meat into the crock pot.
Fourth, add remaining ingredients in the crock pot and mix together.
Fifth, bake in crock pot on low for 9 hrs. or High for 4 hours.

Serve as a side at a BBQ or for a main dish with a side of corn bread.



Side notes: If I serve it as a side dish I omit the ground bee and just add the bacon.This can be vegetarian if you omit the ground beef and bacon and uses Bush's baked beans w/o bacon in it.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey thanks for this one! Ha ha sorry for asking for it so many times before :)