Friday, November 9, 2012

For the Holidays....Yams!

So I was thinking we should all post a "Holiday" recipe for the up coming Holidays. Even if it is one we all know a classic Weathers recipe or even if it is a new one we haven't tried, just post something so we can have them on the blog. What is your favorite Holiday recipe? Post it :) And I guess if we are making this a Memories blog too then post a favorite Holiday Memory too!

I thought I'd post a Yam recipe for my Holiday post and then Mom requested my Yams recipe for someone who wanted it (I think some one at work wanted it), she calls it sweet potato pie, I just call it yams, but whatever.

So here is my recipe, given to me by a good friend from Indy.


Sweet Potato Pie/ Holiday Yams:

2-4 large yams- peeled cut and boiled until tender
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup softened or melted butter or margarine
1 tsp of vanilla
1/4 tsp of salt
2 eggs beaten

Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
1/3-1/2 cup of melted butter drizzled

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350
Peel, cut up and boil Yams until tender.
In a large bowl add all ingredients (except topping) and blend with a blender or use kitchen-aid to mix together.
Pour into a 9x13 baking dish spread it out evenly.
Mix topping ingredients together in a separate bowl (except the melted butter)
Sprinkle topping evenly across the Yams mixture in the pan and then drizzle the melted butter evenly over the topping.
Bake for 30mins or until bubbling and topping looks crispy.

Suggestions:
instead of melting the butter for the topping I just used softened butter and then "cut" it into the other topping ingredients like the crumbly top for pies, it works the same.  But if you are in a rush and forgot to soften your butter you can always melt it then drizzle it. The recipe called for 1/2 cup of butter for the topping I found that was too much so I lessened it and it's usually somewhere around 1/3 cup maybe but if you like it buttery then 1/2 cup works fine. Oh and Pecans taste the best with this recipe I think, but you may like walnuts better.


No comments: